Maybe it’s the Southerner in me, but I love greens.
One of my professors has a saying that in order to keep stayin’ alive, you need your BeeGee’s. Cue the disco party.
But for real! Beans and greens are packed with nutrients and are filling for little calories. And they are so inexpensive.
You probably already know that beans have a high fiber content, that’s probably how bean burritos got their bad rep. High fiber isn’t a bad thing though! In fact, fiber is so great for our bodies. Beans, a high fiber food, can possibly decrease your risk of developing colorectal cancer, cardiovascular disease, and type 2 diabetes. On top of all of that, beans are also high in protein which can help keep you fuller for longer helping with weight management.
Greens have countless vitamins and minerals: vitamin C, folate, manganese, vitamin E, potassium, vitamin B6, phosphorus, and copper to just to name a few! Specifically, greens are loaded with vitamins K and A. These two vitamins support heart, eye, and skin health! Greens are an excellent source of calcium, specifically when they are steamed or cooked. There are several types of greens: kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, spinach, and so many more.
This bowl of soup will warm you to your core and fill your body with so many nutrients.
- 2 celery ribs
- 3 large carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 32 oz of chicken bone broth (I love this one)
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cans of great northern beans
- 1/2 bunch of mustard greens
- 1/2 bunch of kale
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop up the celery, carrots, onions, and garlic.
- In a large soup pot, heat up the olive oil.
- Heat the vegetables in the olive oil until they are beginning to cook.
- Go ahead and add in the chicken broth, tomatoes, and great northern beans.
- Cover the pot and turn the heat down to medium-low. Let it cook for about a 30 minutes.
- After that, add the kale and mustard greens along with the basil leaves.
- Cover the pot again and let the soup cook for another 30 minutes. Then serve with goldfish sprinkled on top and enjoy!